On the evening of April 18, 2009, I performed a very successful collaboration with jazz combo Fantastic Merlins a couple of weeks ago in Saint Paul. The Merlins played music while I created and improvised animated scenes.
We performed an hour-long session, which comprised of four animation performance pieces that I composed especially for the event coupled with musical pieces by the band.
I didn’t title my compositions, as they were “fresh out of the pen”, and I probably will never again perform them as such. But here are descriptions:
- a slow cosmic depiction of a sun or a nucleus at the center of a dynamic system; a shifting metaphor of solar system and atom
- a landscape in which a flock of birds are entrapped by a growing city, but escape above the clouds
- a mysterious Stonehenge-inspired Autocosm; sculptural monoliths growing into an architectural space
- a dance of neon ribbons in 3-space; creating space from free floating phrases
- encore of number 4, though spontaneously performed to a different tune!More information about the band is here: